Prairie Bible Services
PBS lessons encourage careful reading of the Bible. We want people to discover it for themselves. Its message is amazing and so relevant! There is no other agenda. We don’t make money from it either. This is simply our way of “Sharing God’s Word with Today’s World”.
Statement of Faith
- The Sovereignty and grace of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in creation, providence, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The divine inspiration of Holy Scriptures and its consequent entire trustworthiness and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of fallen man making him subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The substitutionary sacrifice of God the Son incarnate as sole and all-sufficient ground of redemption from the guilt and power of sin and from its eternal consequences.
- The justification of the sinner solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ crucified and risen from the dead.
- The illuminating, regenerating, indwelling and sanctifying work of God the Holy Spirit.
- The priesthood of all believers who form the universal Church, the Body of which Christ is the Head and which is committed by His command to the proclamation of the Gospel throughout the world.
- The expectation of the personal visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to the air for His Church and subsequent personal visible return to earth in power and glory.
History of PBS in North America
We are a part of a worldwide mission to get individuals into God’s Word. It all started with a couple’s care for children who could not go to Sunday School. They began mailing out lessons and Bible Education Services was born.
Pete & Elaine Smith joined these efforts over 30 years ago! They were heavily involved while living in the UK, running two mailing centres, camps and other outreaches. Pete was also active on the editorial and content team.
After a visit to Canada in 1998, Pete saw tremendous potential in North America. The first lessons were mailed out the following year. The Smiths left their UK work to another capable couple and moved to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. They registered as Prairie Bible Services so they could use the PBS acronym here as well.
The lessons were adapted and edited to reflect Canadian language and vocabulary. The correspondence courses grew, catching on with family and friends. Now, some 20 years later, PBS has over 1800 students across Canada and the USA.
PBS is a non-profit charitable organization. We rely on the Lord to provide what is needed each month to continue operations. As a registered charity, PBS issues tax receipts.
Free Bible Lessons for All Ages
Prairie Bible Services offers free, specialized Bible study materials. There are grades for all ages, including adults. The Bibletime Lessons and NewLife Bible Studies work as correspondence courses. Another option is to download them for use in Sunday School, Bible small groups or personal studies. They also are ideal for homeschooling parents.
The Bibletime lessons are also available in French and Spanish. While the NewLife course is available in Spanish.
How do the correspondence courses work?
We send lessons out each month. Students do them and mail them back. We pass the completed lessons on to the teachers for marking. The marked lessons go back through us to the student.
Volunteers record marks, print and file lessons and whatever else comes up. The teachers and board of directors are all volunteers too.